Sunday, February 21, 2010

here's something.

I'm going to watch every episode of Saturday Night Live.

[pause]

Yup.

[second pause – to re-read line 1]

Every last one.

You may ask "why would you ever want to do that?" Well, person in my head asking me this question, after reading Steve Martin's book I wanted to go back to see the episodes on SNL he was in. Try to see the things he spoke of. This got my thoughts thinking about my relationship with SNL. I've never really been a fan. Just as I believe no one really can be. We think about it in the way people told us to. That it supposed to push the boundaries of comedy. If you don’t get it you’re not liberal enough. Not creative enough. Not a revolutionary enough (as much as said term can be applicable to a TV show).

But I wanted to know, is it funny? Was it funny then? Is it funny now? How did it get to this?

But really that's all an excuse. It just seems like something I could waste my time doing. I love TV. Love comedy. Love making judgmental commentary on things I don't really have basis saying. It's watch instantly on netflix. So here I go.

Episode 1:

I like George Carlin's suit. Hate that he's dead, but like his suit. His jokes are not funny. Not in that I just don't get them because it's not 1975 anymore, but not funny because you can just tell he's holding himself back. They aren't fluid and just awkward. I blame the FCC. (because as an American who knows nothing of their regulations I can say such random things)

It's weird watching this knowing last night I was watching a show about making a show like this. Lorne Michael's master plan wasn't to make SNL but to make 30 Rock. Or so I tell myself. Right now. Because 30 Rock is funnier.

Best part of the whole episode: Andy Kaufman. I could watch this routine 40 billion times. Yes Billion. What a great mind.

Episode 2:

Now I love Paul Simon but an hour and five min of pure Paul Simon singing when you are expecting jokes is exhausting. I get it: You sing awesome and your 70's mustache is uber-creepy. I’m simply trying to say my one mission in the era of time machines will be to find the guy who decided mustaches would be “it” in the 1970’s and nair his whole head. He should know better.

Moving on. There isn't much to watch. Well except this mustache. (I should explain I never really move on)

No comments: