Sunday, February 28, 2010

And now this...

What I just discovered has confirmed I can’t just sit here and recap every episode: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0694451/plotsummary

It was a dumb idea anyway. Especially when those fine people at IMDB did such a concise and accurate job. I still think there is something to gain from watching every episode. And no it's not because I want to slowly kill myself (you know because most of it is boring and not funny). This just means I need to provide what some might call “insights” or at least interesting fact-jokes.

1975 - Episode 5:

Note: 5 min in - haven't laughed once.

YES ABBA!

Doesn't hurt that (1) I love ABBA, (2) this is one of my favorite ABBA songs (SOS), and (3) ABBA makes everything better (it’s science, you wouldn’t understand). You and I both know it I am just mature enough to admit it. Now a lot of you will judge me for liking ABBA. But you're just stupid (note this argument worked in 4th grade. I’m expecting the same results now). They are a good band despite their outfits. Pure good pop music. It transcends (see Chuck Klosterman's book Eating the Dinosaur - and yes I did think this way about ABBA prior to his essay, he's just better at communicating thoughts. He as it turns out is a “writer”).

"Goodness, what a wonderful country, Wow what a nifty history, Gee it's a powerful nation, And it's been 200 years now, Isn't it wonderful?, Oh, you know it certainly is.
Well, I relived my country's history, In a class called Social Studies, And I learned the Pledge of Allegiance, And I sing my national anthem, 'My country 'tis of thee.'" - Loudon Wainwright III

Yup. That's a song. That I just heard. And no I didn't throw my TV out the window. It's not TVs fault. It's mine. I should buy my TV flowers.

This Loudon Wainwright is a very strange man. He kind of looks like he's going to cry. And people are laughing at him, but I don't think he means to be funny. I think he instead is writing a deep compassionate song that exemplifies what's going on. Research, as I've just conducted, he won a grammy last year. Good for him. Thank you ABBA for closing the show successfully at least from my perspective.

1975 - Episode 6:

Dear SNL - I see now that it is a tradition to continue to run a joke into the ground by replaying a skit episode after episode but please stop. Not funny in 2010 not funny in 1975 (see Jaws III sketch).
I can't even pay attention. I'm starting to loose sight of why this was innovative. I'm going to have to do some research into this.

1 comment:

LeahRose said...

I read your blog!! All of it!! And I do rather like the bits where you decide people are actually funny after all.