Monday, February 22, 2010

Number 3 1975

it's still weird watching chevy chase now (1975 SNL) vs. the one as seen on community.

i grew up hearing my mom say "oh that chevy chase, he's known for his slap stick." almost in a tone that meant the comedy he did wasn't the good kind. well, not that it wasn't the good kind but that it just was the easy kind of comedy because slapstick always gets a laugh. Nothing is funnier then a guy punched in the balls. Period.

She did always follow it up to say that it is a challenging art. "Physical comedy is hard because those people have to look hurt even though they aren't. They put their bodies through so much." I wouldn't know. If I run into a metal trash can on the sidewalk it's because I'm clumsy. The laughing is a bonus.

Rob Reiner had a gap between his teeth?! (this will not weigh in my general opinion of the show, but hmm never noticed it before and learned something new)

What I have noticed about these earlier episodes is that the sketches seem quicker then they are in the more current ones I've seen. Even if it isn't funny at least it doesn't last 10 min (see Kennan Thompson's "what's up with that” sketch). I still generally feel like they are holding back. That what I am watching is a portion of the sketch should have been.

Except, of course, Andy Kaufman. I could go on a mini-rant here about my original vs. current perception of him. Not worth it. He's genius. I get that now.

If you were hoping that 6 african american guys were on stage with 1 white girl dancing to 70's funk music just like Rerun from 'What's Happening" you are in luck, that is exactly what is happening.

I do like that in these first few I've seen the host is hosting. Introducing more then just the band. But the show also has more then just a set number of sketches and 2 segments of a band playing.

Bee costumes always funny. 3 episodes later. I know this will change.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

What's up with that is HILARIOUS!!!